Thrive's head office and gardens are in the village of Beech Hill, near Reading, Berkshire, also known as Trunkwell Gardens (we are next to the Trunkwell House Hotel).
Thrive therapists work with more than 100 disabled people each year ranging in age from 14 to 86 years.
Client gardeners travel here from across Berkshire, North Hampshire, Surrey and South Oxfordshire. They may have learning disabilities, mental health needs including dementia, a physical disability or a sensory disability such as partial sight or deafness.
The garden is designed to help people develop their skills with the help of a horticultural therapist by using a variety of plants. The gardens have areas for growing herbs, fruit and vegetables and there's butterfly and woodland gardens, a glasshouse and polytunnels, a bee border, a tree nursery, a large wildlife pond and a shop selling plants.
Here we can offer City and Guilds vocational qualifications to Level 1 and we are always delighted when gardeners move on to further study, to use their skills as a volunteer or to get a job in horticulture.
Trunkwell is also home to our Garden Gallery - five small gardens designed around a specific disability showing how design and planting can meet those needs.
We also run a number of programmes off site.
Here's what we're doing at the moment.
- Pots and Petals - therapeutic gardening for young people with profound and multiple learning disabilities
- The Vyne - in close partnership with The National Trust we carry out conservation work and also maintain areas within the walled garden
- Sandham Memorial Chapel - we look after the garden of reflection at this Grade 1 listed chapel
- Life After Stroke - rehabilitation for stroke survivors
- Breathing Green Air - in association with the British Lung Foundation, for those with breathing difficulties. First programme completed in 2017, ran again in 2018
- Purley Hall - a new off-site project near Reading. We are actively looking for new clients to come on board
- General therapeutic gardening sessions - available for adults with a variety of conditions such as autism, physical disability, mental ill health and learning difficulties.
If you or someone you know would benefit from attending Thrive, please get in touch on on 0118 988 4844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thrive Reading has a room available to hire for meetings and functions. The room can accommodate 30 people theatre-style and approximately 14 boardroom style. More details are in this leaflet.